3040 M Street - Barnes and Noble
Protected as a contributing building within Georgetown’s National Historic District, 3040 M Street NW was originally constructed as a three-story structure in 1929 and housed the first of Henry Ford’s automobile dealerships in the Washington, D.C. area. McCaffery acquired the vacant building in 1996.
The exterior of the existing building was restored, including full masonry and window replacements, to meet the guidelines set forth by the Commission of Fine Arts and the District of Columbia Historic Preservation Office. McCaffery returned the property to its former retail vitality with the successful leasing of the renovated space to Barnes & Noble and Eddie Bauer.
- Preservation of protected structure
- Home to flagship Barnes & Noble and Eddie Bauer at opening
- Completed in 1996